Posts tagged with “”

Add to Google Reader Extension for Safari 5

I’ve long envied the polished appearance of Safari from the safe distance of my Firefox usage. On several occasions I’ve tried to set Safari as my default browser, but it never stuck. There were just too many functional niceties in Firefox that I couldn’t manage to get along without. That changed last week with the introduction of Safari 5.

The web inspector has finally caught up with Firebug —at least enough so as to make it a very usable alternative—and, at long last, extensions. Extensions! The availability of extension support—I mean real support, not that goofy, half-assed SIMBL hackery that was effective, but…ugh—opens the door to solving a lot of personal workflow woes that I’ve had in the past. Throw in a customized application hot key (Cmd+K to access the search box directly the way I could in Firefox) and it’s almost just like using Firefox except faster, prettier and without the memory suck (so far).

In an effort to solve one of my major issues with Safari, I found an extension that hijacks the RSS button that appears in Safari’s address bar when a feed is detected and redirects to Google Reader. I loved that the functionality was completely unobtrusive. No new buttons, no badges. The extension took a UI element that already existed and was useful, but repurposed it to be even more useful to me. Perfect. The implementation stopped a bit short of what I was looking for, but the developer, Chupa, was good enough to make his source code available on Github. I forked his repository and made the changes I wanted.

If you’re looking for an extension that will add a feed directly to Google Reader and bypasses the iGoogle/Reader option page unless you specifically enable an option that lands you there, you might like my version of Chupa’s Add to Google Reader extension for Safari 5. You can download and install it directly or you can check out the source code in my Codaset project.

Feed Problems

It was pointed out to me this morning that my feed, currently run through Feedburner, wasn’t working properly. I created that problem when I upgraded my site software (the new version provides a different feed URI), so it seems that none of the posts I’ve written since the upgrade have been getting through to aggregators. I don’t know how that managed to elude my notice, but it did.

Everything should be corrected now, so please check the site if you don’t see those posts appear in your reader. There’s been a fair amount of activity – 10 posts, to be precise – in the last week or so including the posting of my Ant script and instructions for sync’ing Firefox across multiple machines using Dropbox. Good stuff. Really. You don’t want to miss it. :-)

Apologies for the inconvenience.

FreeMyFeed Unleashed

Looks like my co-worker’s secure feed proxy service – the one that I mentioned a few days ago – is starting to get noticed in places with a much wider readership that I can offer. That’s a good thing (the fact that it’s getting noticed, I mean, not the fact that my readership is anemic); it’s a pretty kick ass service worthy of notice.

I’m quoted in both posts. Does that mean that I’m right on the cusp of achieving vicarious celebrity? Yeah, didn’t think so…

Free My Feed

As an avid Trac user and semi-evangelist, I love the fact that it’s possible to subscribe to RSS feeds of the project timeline, ticket changes, repository commits and the like. Unfortunately, every Trac environment I’ve ever been involved with has required authentication. That makes sense since (sorry about the sense-since thing, btw) the projects usually contain fairly sensitive data – at least to the company owning the intellectual property that’s documented. Since Google Reader is my preferred feed reader, I’m shut out of these feeds unless I want to invest the time to learn another one (I don’t). Web based services like Google can’t access secure feeds.

Until now.

Read More »